Monday, April 7, 2014

Homeless Horace


Today we take a break from KP duty, ditch the soldiers and sit down with a more intellectual sort: Mr. Horace Greeley.  Founder and editor of the venerable New York Tribune, Greeley was a fervent abolitionist and Radical Republican, often using his paper as a mouthpiece for the party and the dissemination of his ideals.  Born to poor parents to New Hampshire, Greeley went all Silicon Valley, left school at the age of 14 and sought fortune in editing and journalism - an inextricable piece to his more liberal politics.  At the request of Mr. Greeley, I've submitted myself to Earl Grey as the man is snobbish about the taste and wastefulness of my Keurig machine.  It tastes like someone shoved a cigar butt in my mouth...and I just burnt my tongue.  Great.  Let's go!

CWB:  Is my tongue bleeding?

HG:  No, sir.  Shipshape.

CWB:  Well, I won't be able to taste my Trader Joe's channa masala later on today, plus I'll get that flaky feeling a few days later.  The Keurig is out of sight, Mr. Greeley!

HG:  Doctor Greeley.

CWB:  You don't have your doctorate.

HG:  Fair point.

CWB:  In fact, I'm surprised you even have a job you dropout deadbeat.  I'm sorry, the Earl Grey has frayed the last of my nerves.

HG:  Understandable.  Well, to be candid, I actually don't hold a job at the current moment.  You know, print journalism.

CWB:  Booming, I hear.

HG:  Ah, sarcasm, the escape of the poor-witted.

CWB:  Shut up.  I already really don't like you.  But, we have forty-five minutes left in the slot and I already paid for the time.  Uhhh.

HG:  Well, I do freelance from time to time as a blogger for AOL.

CWB:  Ha!  Blogging.  About what?

HG:  Well, I like to poke holes in momentous historical events and twist them in a most devilish way, and what you have is satire.  AOL seems to like it.

CWB:  Oh.

HG:  Hmm.

HG:  Where's the recycling bin?

CWB:  Give it.  We generally just throw it in this yellow bag that waste management supposedly sorts from regular trash.  Guess what?  I don't think they do that.  I wouldn't.

HG:  Just like the well-oiled machinations of the corrupt Democratic Party!

CWB:  Doctor, I don't control waste management.  If you want, there's a Jamba Juice down the road, so be my quest.

CWB: And, he actually left.  Taking a quick break.

-

HG:  It is balmy out, sir.  Apologies, but the Jamba Juice didn't have recycling either, so I plodded a bit further until I came upon a delicious new yogurt store.  Kind folks gladly accepted my refuse.

CWB:  Fro-yo?  Yeah, can't stop that train.

HG:  Actually, it was an all-warm Greek yogurt bar with varying complicated infusions like rhubarb and loganberry.

CWB:  Gross.  I am not helping you if you got salmonella from that bacteria trap of a terrible idea gone worse.

HG:  More sugar for the tea?

CWB:  Equal?

HG:  Will not.

CWB:  Of course.

CWB:  I am completely out of ammo.  I have no idea what to discuss with you.  I'm going to throw out a ton of ideas, so please stop me when something you happen to know anything about pops up.  I am not mentioning tea.

CWB:  True Detective, Game of Thrones, Andrew Dice Clay, Sound of Music, The Colbert Report, Angry Birds, Slinkies, Hot Topic, Korn, Lebron James, Malaysia, Corey Feldman, Mardi Gras, Dustin Hoffman, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Dracula, Count Chocula, NASCAR, Vampire Diaries, alt-rock, sunscreen, Lowe's, Starbucks, Rudy...

HG: No to all, sir.

CWB:  Greeley, please answer this honestly.  Do you own a computer, TV or a Walkman?

HG:  What?

CWB:  Have you even left the house until today?  He's shaking his head.  Wait, how do you even write for AOL?

HG:  I dictate.

CWB:  Horace, I actually feel bad for you.  Do you even own a house?  He's shaking his head again.

CWB.  Uhhhhhh.  Alright, I'm going to leave a key and blanket on the desk after I leave today, okay?  Best I can do.  Just like in Rudy.  Right, you haven't seen that.  Do you want some hot yogurt?  Alright folks, I apologize for the disaster of a show, but I now have a philanthropical mission in my life.

CWB:  Only one topping, okay?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment